Seeds of Hate Discussion Questions
These questions were written by the author and are intended to bring the reader into a deeper discussion about the themes, characters and problems presented in the book. If you have any suggestions for additional questions please feel free to comment below.
1. Who was your favorite character and why?
a.) Was the character believable?
b.) Was the character unique in either voice or actions in comparison to the others?
c.) What was the character’s greatest weakness?
2. What are some of the themes presented in the book? How important were they in developing the overall story?
3. Was there any imagery or symbolism? Did the author portray this in a significant way or was it hard to understand?
4. How did you experience the book? Were you immediately engaged? Did it take you time to become hooked? What emotions did you experience while reading–anger, frustration, sadness, empathy?
5. Did the book’s circumstances bring up past experiences in your own life? What were they and how did you handle them? Are these experiences still affecting you today? If you could go back, how would you have handled those experiences differently?
6. What character do you most identify with–Javier, Selah, Izzy, Nathan or Gio?
7. What passages struck you as insightful or profound? Any dialogue quotes, passages or phrases that encapsulated a character?
8. Has this novel changed you? Opened your mind to how you treat people? Is there a friendship that needs mending or family member who needs to be loved?
9. Is the book’s structure and the author’s way of storytelling engaging or confusing? How did the multiple pov’s affect the way you absorbed the story? Was it unique and insightful or annoying and bothersome?
10. Did the book end the way you expected? Why or why not? If you got the ending you had wanted how would the story have changed? The characters? The overall theme and purpose?